Bituminous waterproofing materials, such as bitumen membranes, are available for use in the construction sector. Let's start with a definition of bitumen and then look at the benefits of this versatile substance.
What Is Bitumen?
Bitumen is primarily a by-product of the crude oil distillation process. Petrol and diesel are removed during this process, leaving behind the black, heavy bitumen. Bitumen may also be discovered in nature, at the bottom of ancient lakes, where dead organisms were exposed to heat and pressure. The waterproofing and adhesive qualities of bitumen were identified. It is now largely employed as a road surface material as well as in the production of roofing and waterproofing goods.
Advantages of Bituminous Waterproofing Products
There are a variety of reasons to use bituminous waterproofing solutions for your next waterproofing project, which include:
- Application simplicity with cheap material and labor costs.
- Ability to withstand mechanical damage while providing a long-lasting, wind-, fire-, and hail-resistant covering. It is unlikely to break because of its great tensile strength.
- Self-adhesive sheets, torch-on, spray-on, and paint-on variations, as well as hot and cold applications, are all available in this flexible, malleable substance. Because of its versatility, it may be used for a wide range of projects, from showers and ponds to flat roofs and intricate surfaces.
- Heat may be used to melt the joints together, resulting in a smooth coating that will not deteriorate over time.
- Bituminous waterproofing materials have been shown to minimize moisture and mold, making the environment safer and healthier.
- When it comes time to sell your house, a well-waterproofed home helps to its structural integrity and increases its value.
How we can select a bituminous waterproofing membrane?
We need to check the following properties of the membrane:
- Breathability: If water gets onto the surface, the permeable membranes help to release the water as water vapor into the air. Some membranes are intended to prevent water from flowing through them to prevent. Breathable membranes, on the other hand, enable contained water to evaporate into the atmosphere over time.
- Tear Resistance: Because many membranes with good elongation may also rip readily, it is one of the most significant qualities. Take a sample of the material in your palm and tear it into two pieces as best you can. This method will provide a good indication of its tear resistance.
- Elongation: This is the membrane's stretch capability, which is measured in percentages. When tugged, a membrane with a 150 percent elongation may stretch to 1.5 times its original length. The membrane's ability to extend across future cracks is a result of this characteristic.
Connect with Bituroll now if you've concluded that bituminous waterproofing materials are ideal for your next construction or maintenance project. We are one of the most reputable bitumen membrane manufacturers in the area. We can provide you with expert advice on the most relevant, high-quality goods for your needs.